Current Year Election Notifications and Status
TO: TSA Board of Directors, TSA Committees
FROM: Mike Hower, National Secretary
SUBJ: 2015 TSA Elections
DATE: 15 June 2014
This year The Spaatz Association will be electing two officers and five directors per our Bylaws as follows:
- Vice President – held by Janon D. Ellis
- Treasurer – held by Bruce Krell
- Director Seat # 1 – held by Austyn W. Granville
- Director Seat # 3 – held by Sandie D. Aurich
- Director Seat # 5 – held by Alan Dickinson
- Director Seat # 7 – held by Robert J. Mattes
- Director Seat # 9 – held by Antonio Barroso
As before, we will communicate the election, accept nominations/applications and handle all voter registration and balloting via email and website.
We will build a slate of candidates, based on self-nominations received from individuals via email. The complete slate of candidates will then be posted to the website for public review.
In May 2014, the Board changed the requirements for self-nominations. Effective for this election, TWO nominating documents are required:
- A resume evidencing your qualifications to serve as a Board Member. Note this is NOT a CAP resume; rather it is an opportunity to present your background and qualifications to serve in the capacity of Officer or Director in a fraternal, non-profit organization with financial assets in excess of $250,000.
- A brief statement reflecting your vision for the Association, the goals you will pursue during your term, and how you will actively pursue those goals as part of our Working Board. 2 page maximum.
Both items listed above should be separate documents in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
All incumbents, if interested in competing for a 2015-2017 board position must self-nominate as specified above before the 11:59 pm Eastern Time, 15 July 2015 deadline. Send self-nominations via email to: email@example.com.
Eligible voters include our Life Members, dues paid members, and Spaatzen in the first year of their receiving their Spaatz Award. To verify membership status, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Concurrently with this release, we will be updating the master membership roster with contact information for known eligible voters (Lifetime, dues paid members, new Spaatzen) to speed the election process.
I anticipate we be able to announce election results at or before the CAP National Conference in August 2015.
Timetable (subject to adjustment):
- 15 June 2015 – posting of election notice on Association website (auto generated email to all subscribers)
- 15 July 2015 – closeout of self-nomination period.
- 20 July 2015 – posting of candidate list to Association website and opening of polls (auto generated email to all subscribers).
- 10 August 2015 – polls close.
- 20 August 2015 – By-Laws Chair authenticates votes and announces winners to Board, establish need for any run-offs, etc. Announce to membership via email and website.
- 1 September 2015 – new Board seated (unless run-off election is required).
The handling of nominations, applications and the registration, voting and tabulation processes will be overseen by our By-Laws Chair, Mr. Thomas Hurley and our By-Laws Committee.
Thank you for your continued leadership and support.
Mike Hower, # 895
The Spaatz Association
Future Year Election Projections
The 2016 election projection includes:
- Director Seat # 2
- Director Seat # 4
- Director Seat # 6
- Director Seat # 8
- Director Seat # 10
The 2017 election projection includes:
- Vice President
- Director Seat # 1
- Director Seat # 3
- Director Seat # 5
- Director Seat # 7
- Director Seat # 9
Board Candidate FAQ
What is the organization’s purpose?
- Provide a fraternal organization for recipients of the Civil Air Patrol General Carl A. Spaatz Award.
- Promote and maintain the prestige of the General Carl A. Spaatz Award.
- Support and preserve the high standards of achievement required to attain the General Carl A. Spaatz Award.
- Provide an entity to harness the collective energy, enthusiasm, experience, and talent of the General Carl A. Spaatz Award. recipients to assist in making the CAP Cadet Program the finest youth development program in America.
- Promote the development of positive personal characteristics, to include leadership, professionalism, integrity, and perseverance in America’s youth.
What is the organization’s history?
- Association history is available on the TSA history page.
What are the board members’ responsibilities?
- To manage the day-to-day business operations of the Association as provided in the Association Bylaws and determined by the Board of Directors.
How long does a board member serve on the board?
- Two years.
Are there any legal issues that board members should worry about?
- There are no legal challenges or issues facing the organization at this time.
Where can I find the biographies of the current year nominees?
- This list will be updated and posted to the Association website once the nomination period is complete.